Link Building Techniques: 5 Killer ways to Get Ranked
You have an amazing product, have started to implement marketing strategies, are building email lists and social media pages, and think you're ready to get ranked in Google. But without any backlinks, you won't get anywhere.
If you're struggling to get backlinks and need to get ranked in Google, this guide will share five simple and effective link building strategies that will help get you ranked in Google in no time.
Link building is a fundamental marketing tactic for growing a website. By strategically building quality backlinks to your website, you can create a steady organic search engine traffic flow. Apply these five straightforward techniques today to become a link building guru and get ranked in Google.
What is Link Building in SEO?
Link building is the most important strategy in modern SEO. A link from a high-quality site is one of the best indicators of a site's credibility. Since Google is most likely using links as a significant ranking factor, they are probably the most important part of your SEO strategy. Building links to your website without linking to other sites is also known as "link spamming" and can easily get your site penalized by Google.
Link building is an approach to online marketing that helps you rank in Google. It is the process of obtaining links from other websites to your homepage or blog. Any link that directs traffic from a site on the internet back to your website is a link that can benefit your search engine ranking.
Why is Link Building essential?
Let's be honest with each other. After the Google Penguin updates, no one in their right mind would claim that link building is dead. But, since then, it's just become more difficult. RankBrain's updates, which started in 2015, continued the war on spammy links and added more complexity to link building.
Quality content is about being relevant, fresh, original, helpful, and understandable. It is not just about the content on a page, but about making your page about something, so people want to stay on it. This is why link building is so important for your blog. When you build links, you tell search engines that your page is so good, informative, helpful, relevant, important that others have linked to it on their page.
What Is An Inbound Link?
Inbound links are the links from other websites that point to your website. They are also called backlinks because they refer back to your website. For a link to be considered as a backlink by search engines, it should be clickable.
What Is An Outbound Link?
Outbound links, or external links, are the exact opposite of backlinks. Rather than another website having a link to your site, outbound links are when you include a link to an external site on your site or blog page.
Nofollow Link vs. Dofollow Link
A nofollow link, or backlink, is a link that does not pass authority on to the site it is linking to. So, these links don't help in terms of SEO. To make a link nofollow, you've to add rel=" nofollow" to the code when linking to a website.
Dofollow links are those that allow Google and other search engines to point back to your website or blog. So, every time you add a dofollow link on your website, it can point back to you, which increases your authority by showing search engines what other websites, blogs, and posts are linking to you.
Dofollow links and Nofollow links are two ways of identifying a link and telling search engines how to associate the site you are linking to your site. Dofollow links are a way to pass on authority to a site, whereas a nofollow link does not pass on link juice.
Benefits of Link Building
Simply, link building is the process of generating inbound backlinks to your website. So, it is one of the most crucial aspects of effective SEO. The primary reason for this is Google's ranking algorithm, named "PageRank." The algorithm ranks websites by the total number of links it receives from "credible" websites. Thus, if you want to get ranked in Google, you need to focus on building links for your site.
After reading this entire guide, you will have an arsenal of link building techniques that marketers can use right away. Most of these techniques are easy, straightforward, and have low risk. They will provide an immediate benefit for you, increase your links, help you rank faster, and help you monetize your blog. If you're struggling with getting organic traffic to your blog or monetizing it, these techniques are for you.
The Top 5 Link Building Techniques
There are infinite ways to build links to your website. Some are productive, while others are downright spammy. As a beginner, you must take the time to learn the best ways to build links. If you employ these simple tips, you'll be well on your way to increased search engine rankings.
1. Get Natural Link using Guest Blogging or Contributing to High Authoritative Sites.
Guest blogging refers to a blog a writer/blogger writes and publishes content for other blogs or popular sites.
Guest blogging is also an excellent way to build relationships with other bloggers and experts in your niche and establish yourself as a writer.
You can easily find guest blogging websites by using the following search formulas on Google,
- [your keywords] "contribute to this site."
- [your keywords] "become a contributor."
- [your keywords] "submit a guest post."
- [your keywords] "submit an article"
- [your keywords] "submit a blog post."
- [your keywords] "send a guest post."
- [your keywords] "become an author."
- [your keywords] "write for us."
- [your keywords] "guest bloggers wanted"
- [your keywords] "become a contributor."
- [your keywords] "contribute to our site."
- [your keywords] "submit a guest post."
- [your keywords] inurl:guest-post
- [your keywords] inurl: contributors
- [your keywords] inurl: guest*post
- [your keywords] inurl:guest*posts
- [your keywords] inurl:guest-posts
- [your keywords] inurl:guest-blogger
- Guest posting helps you build authority or awareness (for yourself and your website)
- It improves your reach within your industry.
- It helps you with other aspects of SEO
- You can generate a ton of quality referral traffic easily
- You can easily get powerful and high-quality backlinks
Dos and Don'ts of guest blogging:
- Always check the blog's guidelines first before writing for any website
- You need to write valuable content for the audience, not for the search engine
- Always write in-depth and original content.
- Write a detailed guide and high-quality content.
- Never spin your content
- Do not stuff your guest posts with links
- Avoid posting on low-quality websites. Always check the Domain Authority (DA) first.
What methods should you avoid when building links for SEO?
There are many good ways of building quality links to improve search engine optimization. But, there are also bad ways of building links that might hurt your website ranking and get you a penalization that is difficult to recover from.
Here are some of the methods to avoid when you build links for SEO,
- Buying and selling links.
- Excessive link exchange.
- Using an automated link building system.
- Building a network of websites with the purpose of interlinking them.
- Using low-quality links.
- Irrelevant links posted that are not relevant to the topic.
- Using web-rings and link farms.
- Article submission spam.
- Low-quality directory submissions.
- Web 2.0 spamming-free blog on sites like Weebly, Blogger, Tumblr and add low-quality content with links.
- Anchor text over-optimization
- PBN & link networks
2. Internal Links
You must have noticed this type of linking on many popular websites. Internal Links are links that go from one page to another page within the website. It is often ignored but is actually a great way to help people dig deeper within your website. For internal links, always find a good keyword phrase on any of your pages and link it to the home page or an inner page with more information, so the user stays longer and explores the website further.
Benefits of internal linking
- It increases the page authority and helps to pass link juice equally to other web pages.
- Helps reduce the overall bounce rate of the site.
- Smart internal linking increases the overall crawl ability and indexation of the site.
- Improves older pieces of content by sending some traffic and exposure.
- You can go to your website right now and find good keyword phrases to link relevant page content with some other content.
- Helps with keyword rankings if your blog post has relevant content and strategic internal links.
3. Blog Commenting to Gain Back Links
This is a simple and amazing way to acquire backlinks from industry blog websites if you've got the time and expertise to participate. Always include your URL while commenting.
Commenting on high-quality blogs can be time-consuming, yet for those who are focused on long-term results, there are many benefits besides gaining links,
- You can improve traffic to your website easily.
- Blog commenting allows you to build relationships with blog owners and other experts in your industry.
- Build credibility and branding – By blog commenting regularly, you may increase the odds of being noticed by blog owners and have your online business appreciated.
In short, blog comments is an excellent strategy as it benefits you and the blog owner. However, it is recommended that you do it frequently and do it properly.
4. Broken Link Building
A broken link is a web page that can not be found or accessed by a user for several reasons. So, the web servers will return an error message when a user tries to access a broken link. They are often called "dead links" or "link rots."
Broken link building is a process that stops your users from visiting a website or a page that doesn't exist anymore. Instead, find a relevant website with dead links.
So, how do you do it easily?
- Find the best opportunity – Make use of the advanced search operators for the relevant website. This process may drain your mind, but there is an alternative to it – Automating this process. Tools like Scrapebox can scrape thousands of links with top VPNs in a single click. Then simply input your list and export the resulting URL.
Looking for broken links on a website can be done through browser plugins.
So now you'll have a relevant URL that contains broken links.
- Next is Email Outreach – Contact the website owner, tell them they have a broken link, and suggest replacing it with your link.
- Ensure to find a relevant broken link that you can replace and the website owner doesn't have a problem with it.
- Do not do outreach for a broken link with the same source URL on the same domain. It is an internal link, and that won't be our target.
- If the source link is to a high authoritative website, they won't replace it with your link.
- And don't contact if they are linking to Google. No one can compete with that.
Using some of these strategies might falsely boost your website rankings, but there is a great chance that your website might be penalized by Google in the future, and it can take several months or more to recover. In addition, Google is always looking for quality links, and adding low-quality website links is not the way to go.
5. Local Business Citations
If you've got a local business, then local link building is an excellent back-linking opportunity for you. You can get high-quality links and draw more traffic from the many people who use local searches to find businesses nearby on a regular basis.
Local Business Citations are the key factors if you want to enhance your positions in local search results. Local citations have the three terms called NAP - Name, Address, and Phone number.
While creating your local business citation, ensure to add the same address you feature on the website. These citation links are essential for local rankings and help search engines (Google, Yahoo, and Bing) verify your business location.
Links from Yelp, Bing Local, Yahoo Local, Yellow Pages, etc., create authority for your website, build trust, and help improve your rankings in local search results.
How to find citations sources
There are various ways to find citation sites easily. Here are some of them,
- You can start with Whitespark's List of Top Citation Sources. You can also head over to this extensive list of niche citation sites for 41 business categories, including Automotive, Accounting, Health & Medical, Marketing, Real estate, more.
- Also, you can find city-specific and keyword-specific citation sources by using the following,
- (city) business directory
- (city) business listings
- (city) directory
- For keyword-specific citations,
- (keyword) business directory
- (keyword) business listings
- (keyword) directory
Do take advantage of these websites, and feel free to search for more websites as well.
Some Advanced Link Building Techniques
- Link Roundups
- List your website in trustworthy directory sites
- Turn your brand mentions into backlinks
- The Skyscraper Technique by Backlinko
- Link reclamation
SmartWriter - Skyrocket your backlink outreach process
SmartWriter lets you create blog-specific backlink request messages. This AI tool allows you to create personalized emails for your backlink outreach. The automated SEO backlink outreach helps boost your organic traffic, and you can rank #1 for your niche across Google.
How to use SmartWriter to generate backlink request messages?
- Sign in or sign up with SmartWriter.
- Choose a current project or create a new project using the option "Create Project."
- Click "Create Copy" and look for "Backlink Personalization" under Personalized Outreach.
- Now, you have to select the type of outreach you have decided to do,
- Ask To Add Your Link To Their Post
- Ask For A Guest Post
- Ask To Replace Competitor Link (SkyScrapper Technique)
- Select the preferred link building technique and fill in the details
- Now, click on Generate Copy to get the personalized email messages for your outreach.
- You can use them or regenerate using the available options.
Link building has always been one of the toughest and most complex aspects of starting a website from scratch. That is because it is not enough to just have a good site – it's equally important to have quality backlinks from authoritative sites. To automate this process, use the best link building tools available on the market.
You can use the tips and techniques discussed here to build links that will rank your blog. It might not happen overnight, but it'll certainly happen with time. Just create a website, stick with it and follow these link building techniques to drive organic traffic and grow domain authority to rank #1 in your niche across Google.